Petroleum Engineering Technology
Diploma in Petroleum Engineering Technology
The Petroleum Engineering Technology program prepares students to work as Petroleum Engineering Technicians in the oil and gas industry as well as related industries. The program provides education and training for students aiming for careers in various fields involving Petroleum Engineering Technology and related applied sciences and engineering technologies. It trains the petroleum engineering technicians in all areas of down and mid-stream operations. The petroleum industry hires these highly skilled individuals for multiple field and office positions such as Petroleum Pump System Operators, Refinery Operators, and Gauges.
Upon completion of the degree requirements, the student will receive a Diploma Degree – Associate of Science (AS) in Petroleum Engineering Technology.
Program Educational Objectives
Petroleum Engineering Technology Program is designed to prepare students for continued learning and successful careers. Within few years of graduation, our alumni will be:
- Pursuing a fulfilling career in the Petroleum Engineering Technology field
- Applying proper skills to solve technical problems whether as individuals or in professional teams
- Pursuing career advancement through professional development courses and/or undergraduate studies
- Addressing technical problems with awareness of ethical values and engineering standards of their field
The Petroleum Engineering Technology program adopts the “Accreditation Board for Engineering and Technology – Engineering Technology Accreditation Commission” (ABET – ETAC) student outcomes. Graduates of Petroleum Engineering Technology must demonstrate:
- An ability to apply knowledge, techniques, skills and modern tools of mathematics, science, engineering, and technology to solve well-defined engineering problems appropriate to the discipline;
- An ability to design solutions for well-defined technical problems and assist with the engineering design of systems, components, or processes appropriate to the discipline;
- An ability to apply written, oral, and graphical communication in well-defined technical and non-technical environments; and an ability to identify and use appropriate technical literature;
- An ability to conduct standard tests, measurements, and experiments and to analyze and interpret the results; and
- An ability to function effectively as a member of a technical team
Students graduating with Petroleum Engineering Technology degree are fit for careers in process design, data entry and evaluation, well operations, environmental control, plant engineering, geological surveys, engineering sales, research and development, and manufacturing. Common industries for employment include: power, gas processing, refineries, petrochemical processing, oil and gas mining, manufacturing.